Booth University College offers a concentrated two-year Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) after degree for individuals who possess a suitable undergraduate degree as preparation for social work.
Students require admission to both Booth University College and our Bachelor of Social Work program. Students may apply for admission to the social work program at the same time as they apply for admission to Booth University College. Students enrolled in the Bachelor of Social Work after degree on a full-time basis can complete their bachelor degree in two academic years, including one summer term.
2019 enrollees and beyond
To earn a Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) through Booth University College’s after degree program, you must successfully complete a minimum of 75 credit hours comprised of:
- 63 credit hours in the discipline (including 57 required credit hours and 6 credit hours of electives) plus 12 credit hours of core religion requirements (which includes REL100 Introduction to Christianity, REL270 World Religions, and 3 credit hours above the 200 level in a Christian tradition) for a total 75 credit hours.
The following courses must be taken:
- Required (60 credit hours):
- SWK 110 Introduction to Social Work Practice (3)
- SWK 220 Introduction to Social Welfare (3)
- SWK 232 Foundations I (3)
- SWK 233 Foundations II (6)
- SWK 310 Research Methods (3)
- SWK 312 Human Behaviour in the Social Environment I (3)
- SWK 313 Human Behaviour in the Social Environment II (3)
- SWK 322 Indigenous People and Social Work Practice (3)
- SWK 325 Social Work Field Practice I (6)
- SWK 326 Social Work Field Practice Integrative Seminar I (3)
- SWK 334 Foundations III (3)
- SWK 360 Crisis Intervention or SWK 370 Trauma Informed Practice (3)
- SWK 410 Ethical Practice of Social Work (3)
- SWK 421 Contemporary Issues in Social Policy (3)
- SWK 425 Social Work Field Practice II (6)
- SWK 426 Social Work Field Practice Integrative Seminar II (3)
- Electives (6 credit hours):
- SWK 300 Statistics for Social Work Practice
- SWK 361 Social Problems (3)
- SWK 363 Abuse and Social Work Practice (3)
- SWK 364 Addictions and Social Work Practice (3)
- SWK 365 Aging and Social Work Practice (3)
- SWK 366 Disabilities and Social Work Practice (3)
- SWK 395 Selected Topics (3)
- SWK 460 Child Welfare Practice (3)
- SWK 461 Dual Disorders: An Integrative Perspective (3)
- SWK 462 Community Mental Health Practice (3)
- SWK 463 Social Work Practice with Children and Adolescents (3)
- SWK 465 Spirituality in Social Work Practice (3)
- SWK 466 Independent Study in Social Work (3)
“Booth UC is far more than a place to learn. Booth provides you with opportunities to grow on a personal, spiritual, and academic level. I graduated from Booth over 5 years ago, and I continue to stay connected with classmates and educators, which speaks to the bonds that you can form at Booth.
When I reflect on my time at Booth, I am thankful for the welcoming learning environment, the various perspectives that the professors brought forward, and the hands-on and relevant training that was offered. Booth UC truly prepared me to be an empathetic and person-centred social worker and I am grateful to be part of the Booth community.”
Lindsay Feuer (BSW/16)
For more information, contact our Admissions team or go to the Admissions page.
Phone: 204-924-4887 or toll-free:
877-942-6684 ext. 887
Visit: 447 Webb Place, Room 107
(main floor beside Booth Bistro),
Meet Our Faculty
Go to the Staff Directory to contact our School of Social Work faculty members.